1. Introduction of Computer
1.3 Components of Computer System?
1.3.1 Central Processing Unit (CPU)
The main components of a computer are:
- Central Processing Unit
- Input Devices/media
- Output Devices/media
Some special purpose devices and media are also available.
CPU (Central Processing Unit)
The CPU is also called the brain of the computer. Its basic function is to perform calculations and various logical operations. It consists of three parts: -
1. Control Unit
- It consists of electronic circuits
- It selects, interprets and executes instructions.
- Governs input/output (I/O) operations, data transfer to and from storage and guides the routing of data between storage location and the arithmetic and logic unit.
2. Arithmetic and Logic Unit (ALU)
- Comprises of electronic circuits.
- Performs calculations and comparisons.
- Works at tremendous speed and executes millions of instructions per second (MIPS).
3. Memory or Storage
- Also called Internal storage or main memory or random access memory (RAM).
- Consists of very fast memories like magnetic core memory or semiconductor memory.
- Stores program instructions or part of data for immediate need.
- Data is stored in a computer memory in the form of words, bytes and bits.